[ale] [ALE] So the winner is?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:42:48 EDT 2021

On 5/19/21 3:37 PM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 03:33:01PM -0400, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
>> I have done so for a long time, but now I believe that AWS and Docker
>> are making Linux less of a thing. You'll still need a desktop, but
>> enterprises are going serverless; it can be economically viable to do
>> so. Linux won't go away tomorrow, but if I was a young person I
>> wouldn't stake my career on it.
>
> That's like saying "I don't care about farmers because I get my food
> from the store!"
>
> Those AWS instances and Docker images are very much running Linux.  And
> someone still needs to create/maintain/support them.
>
>   - Solomon

Instances are re-created programmatically. Much of the OS is becoming bloat that does not support the application. Unless you're doing the datacenter for Amazon, your statement doesn't quite fit.

It's more like saying "I don't care about growing and butchering my own cow because I shop at a grocery store." There are folks who raise cows, I'm not one of them. I still eat hamburgers, though.

Leam

--
Site Reliability Engineer  (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)