[ale] xfs vs. ext4

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Fri May 14 12:20:08 EDT 2021

XFS is still under active development at HPE. We put it on clusters and big
storage as CXFS.

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/PSN1010144466USEN.pdf

HPE may have bought us but there are still a lot of the same people working
on it.

Brian

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM Justin Goldberg via Ale <ale at ale.org>
wrote:

> I thought ZFS was the one with the brightest future?
>
> I do realize that there's six high quality linux journaling filesystem
> projects for linux (high quality but not necessarily high quality on linux
> as in the case of AdvFS):
>
> ReiserFS (this project was killed, no pun intended)
> SGI XFS
> DEC AdvFS, never went anywhere, ported to hpux, source is available
> IBM JFS
> ZFS, still chugging along and is starting to be used in some places,
> freenas/truenas, QNAP's QuTS appliance etc...
> EXT4, known to be used at Google afaik, public talks mention it's use due
> to the upgrade path from their historical EXT2 usage (I previously worked
> at Google as smart hands and a network operations engineer, but I did not
> see into their systems at this level)
>
> Did I miss any?
>

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> It also deals much better with large files than ext (e.g. on a DVR like
>>> Mythtv).  I put XFS onto my newest Myth Backend and it's working very
>>> well.
>>>

>> I use JFS for that. Mainly because fscks and deletes are super fast. It's
>> also a nice file system for large files.
>>

>> --
>> James Sumners
>> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>>
>> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
>> personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
>> corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
>> condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>>
>> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
>> CH:D 59

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
Einstein