[ale] xfs vs. ext4

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:10:42 EDT 2021

I thought ZFS was the one with the brightest future?

I do realize that there's six high quality linux journaling filesystem
projects for linux (high quality but not necessarily high quality on linux
as in the case of AdvFS):

ReiserFS (this project was killed, no pun intended)
SGI XFS
DEC AdvFS, never went anywhere, ported to hpux, source is available
IBM JFS
ZFS, still chugging along and is starting to be used in some places,
freenas/truenas, QNAP's QuTS appliance etc...
EXT4, known to be used at Google afaik, public talks mention it's use due
to the upgrade path from their historical EXT2 usage (I previously worked
at Google as smart hands and a network operations engineer, but I did not
see into their systems at this level)

Did I miss any?