[ale] Slightly OT: PI/Raspian Mesh Network Strategy?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Jun 25 22:10:50 EDT 2021

On 6/25/21 9:33 PM, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:

> I've done some quick research on "directional wifi antenna" and
> "outdoor Wifi Access point" and it looks encouraging.

If you go wifi, get a Ubiquiti LR antenna ($100 at microcenter now). Should easily cover the parking lot and then some. I recall seeing a test that showed one of those inside a house providing coverage to the entire 2 stories AND over an acre back yard.

Search: Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Long Range

Did I miss where the location of the PoS person would be in prior emails?  That would determine whether any CAT6 was needed at all or if the wifi-LR can just point through an open window. 30 minutes of on-site testing would answer questions.

Ubiquiti APs can be connected to any switch/router port you think won't cause security issues for the rest of the network. They make backyard or 140km LoS versions. I've seen both.
If you might want a mesh version, they sell kits. The management software will automatically increase/decrease power for each AP in the mesh to get the best coverage.  The management server doesn't need to run all the time, but it can be hosted on a Pi. It is java - cough.

If it was me, I'd get a cell signal extender and a Square chip/contactless payment dongle just to make this stuff really easy. No wifi, use GSM/CDMA for better legal protections.

And margarita machine.