[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Hijacking my own IP

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 11 12:24:20 EDT 2021

________________________________
From: Byron Jeff <byronjeff at clayton.edu>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2021 12:19 PM
To: Chris Fowler via Ale <ale at ale.org>
Cc: Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ale] Hijacking my own IP

Not to be glib, but wouldn't the simplest solution be to just turn the
printer off?

Or as an alternative, if your machine isn't offering any services, simply
to temporarily assign it a different IP statically?

Two different devices with the same IP address really has no workable
solutions. There will be continuous conflict between the two devices trying
to update the ARP cache with two different MAC addresses with the same IP.

If I was there, I'd unplug it.  I could probably use arpspoof and hammer the gateway.  My connection to the remote device is setup in a way that it is intolerant of most transient issues on its network.  It creates a VPN back with tight keep alives and tests within the VPN connection,.  If the gateway was to have Internet issues, the device would tear down the connection within 30s and reconnect.  Of course, this resets my SSH.

A standard TCP KEEPALIVE could sit there a LOOOONG time before it even had a clue there was an issue.