[ale] How useful is Raspbian for Newbie Learning Linux?

Mark Ogilvie electrophic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:12:58 EST 2021

Lnx Gnome,

I have saved the distribution link you provided. It really floored me to
see how much is available. Some are obvious special-purpose builds that
don't apply, but most are worth trying.

My first goal is to get basic command line skills on the hardware I have.
Several of my customers have donated old PC workstations to me and I own
two Raspberry Pi boxes, one is Pi4 with 8GB RAM.

I had a flickering screen issue with an HDMI-to-VGA adapter and I'll need
to get a monitor that doesn't require VGA and a KVM that is HDMI compatible.

I use a Windows 10 box for work but the Pi boxes are so small that they
easily fit onto a nearby bookshelf. It would be nice to convert one of my
old PC's into Linux servers, then I can do labbing with my own home Linux
network.
I have a Cisco switch and router and need to integrate them into this
network to enable the Linux/Cisco interface.

And maybe I'll purchase one more Pi and load it with Kali build to help
learn penetration testing (on my own systems of course)

Thanks guys for all the great advice! I am about to begin a Udemy class, an
intro to this stuff. Really want to get serious about learning Linux for
work, but honestly it's fun as well.