[ale] OT: blocking phone numbers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:54:40 EDT 2021

That's all such a load of bs from phoneCo. They get PAID to allow calls to traverse to other customers. I find it ludicrous that phoneCo A doesn't have a list of numbers from phoneCo B that can't be validated at least daily. The ability to disconnect a voip provider that sends garbage is there. But the garbage voip providers are a steady income stream for phoneCo so they just blanket auth the crap.

Maybe a $100 per call penalty to the voip provider (and no bankruptcy allowed - C-level is on the hook personally for this) and a public flogging of the phoneCo exec that signed the deal will get their attention.

Yeah. I've had about 300 too many "your car warranty is expiring" calls to have any mercy left. My block list is huge.

On August 26, 2021 12:50:14 PM EDT, Phil Turmel via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Those aren't the callers' real numbers.  They are spoofing their caller
>
>ID to make it look like a neighbor.  (Easy to do with bulk Voip
>providers, unfortunately.)
>
>If you block them, you really can block a neighbor.
>
>Supposedly, there is a move to require crypto-signed authentication of
>caller ID at the provider level, but I gather providers are dragging
>their heels at the expense/liability. ):
>
>On 8/25/21 10:39 AM, Boris Borisov via Ale wrote:
>> Lately I've been getting phone calls with good deals on Medicare :)
>>
>> Seems to come from phone numbers with different last 4 digits.
>>
>> How can I block entire "subnet" of phone numbers.
>>
>> Android.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool