[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Bash Scripts: When to break them into files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Apr 27 18:16:42 EDT 2021

Charles Shapiro via Ale said on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 14:29:25 -0400

>My rule of thumb is about 100 lines.  After that, I reach for a
>language with better organizational tools.

Same here.

> Python, C++, and lua come to mind first.

> Data which is more than around the same amount should
> go into a database, preferably postgresql.

I don't use a database unless table relations are a necessity, or
unless there's a real possibility of updates clobbering each other. For
lesser requirements, I use Yaml, Json, directories of key->value files
(filename is key, contents are value), or if it's extremely simple,
just old time Microsoft data files with 1 level of categories and
multiple lines of key=value.

If I do need to use a database, I'll evaluate the possibility of using
sqlite, which is easier to incorporate.

If I need a real database, Postgres is indeed a great choice.

> Spreadsheets are Not >Databases.

Quoted for truth! The amount of work you need to do to interface with a
spreadsheet is quite a bit more than

SteveT

Steve Litt