[ale] Strange Linux networking issue

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Tue Apr 20 08:52:55 EDT 2021

I would not expect that layout to work except by chance.  With those
subnet masks, each box is free to send any packet to 172.16.x.y out
either interface at any time.  Specifying an interface for ping won't
prevent the other box from replying out the wrong interface.

To be reliable, (b) and (c) need to be in the same subnet, and (a) and
(d) need to be in different subnets.   Not necessarily different subnets
from each other, but definitely different from the b/c subnet.