[ale] Strange Linux networking issue

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Apr 19 14:37:38 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Mon, April 19, 2021 2:17 pm, Jim Kinney wrote:
> ???
> Two hosts directly connected with neither switch nor cross-over cable.
> ???
>
> Sounds like the two nics auto-negotiated themselves to death.

That was certainly one of my theories.  (NB: I'm helping someone else
debug this, it's not my design).  The strange part was that it was working
fine for a week or two before kicking the bucket.

> To test, stop networking on boxA, rmmod nic modules, insmod nic modules,
> start networking. If ping runs a bit after that, disable autoconfig.

We've been trying to do non-destructive edits at the moment to debug, but
yes, this is a good option to attempt to "get it back online".

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745