[ale] [ALE] OT Sort of

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 23:04:56 EDT 2021

> Many of us, wear white beards, know the pain.

I am so glad to have so many Linux geezers around here.  My first install
was Slackware 3.0 in 1996 on a 386(?).  Needed a kernel recompile just to
hear sound on the sound blaster card and get the CD-ROM to work.  I never
did get X to work on that machine under Slack.  XFree86 simply couldn't
support my Matrox video card.  The first time I saw X running (with good
ol' fvwm and WindowMaker and Afterstep) was with Red Hat 3.0.3, which
included the Metro-X server, which *did* support that video card.
Waaaaaaaay cool.  I gradually moved away from OS2 Warp after that.
Although Warp 4 was pretty spiffy looking.  Anyway, I used Slackware for
many many years as my daily driver.  Imagine my surprise when I started
trying Ubuntu and Debian in the early 2010's!  Worlds apart!