[ale] Using SPICE without KVM?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Oct 9 10:28:15 EDT 2020

Connecting to a VM is easy, if I'm reading the stuff below
correctly. From my laptop or the VM host (hadar), if I want
to connect to regulus, desktop VM, I use this script:

$ more bin/regulus
#!/bin/bash
GO=regulus
if [[ $HOSTNAME == "hadar" ]] ; then
     # For local connection on hadar
     /usr/bin/virt-viewer -a -d  $GO &
else
     # For remote connections on the LAN
     /usr/bin/virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://hadar/system $GO &
fi

The local connection doesn't seem any faster than the connection
over the LAN. The connection shows they expected login screen.

Video works as expected over the LAN. The rest of the interface
seems very snappy - faster than expected. I'm still surprised at
how fast it is.

My attempts yesterday to get xspice working on :3 ended badly. I
didn't have to reboot, but it was close. My normal X/Session was
unavailable. Had to remote in and kill it.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Spice#Xspice
I haven't tried those steps yet. XDMCP through a tunneled SPICE
connection would be nice. Other priorities today.