[ale] Using SPICE without KVM?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:57:33 EDT 2020

I've used spice over WAN/internet (through 2 VPNs) to a vm from my laptop in an ALE meeting and youtube videos played with synched sound.

It should be possible by running the server on the far end and connecting the client. That said, it expects to open a high port on request of use that the client needs. May require some scripting to make useable.

On October 8, 2020 2:51:46 PM EDT, Bob via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

>This blog states that spice only works with a vm on a lan.
>
>https://blog.vpscheap.net/x2go-vs-novnc-vs-spice-what-is-the-best-software-for-remote-desktop-connection-rdp/
>
>Similarly,
>
>https://www.spice-space.org/
>

>On 2020-10-08 2:40 p.m., DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
>> Does anyone use SPICE for remote desktops without using KVM?
>>
>> I have a physical machine I'd like to remote into, so it wouldn't
>> have KVM+Spice available on it.
>>
>> I've been using x2go, but spice feels even faster than x2go,
>> which is pretty amazing.  As much faster as x2go is than VNC
>> or RDP, Spice is that much faster than x2go over the LAN. I
>> actually wonder if spice isn't accessing some high-end GPU
>> it is so snappy.
>>
>> Found an old article from 2011 of doing this, but nothing
>> later.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool