[ale] ALE meeting location

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:37:07 EDT 2020

Good test results and write-up. We've discussed ale meetings being published in the past but never moved beyond idea phase. This sounds like a very workable process. If we add the recording feature and a vps reflector, we have the makings of a pretty awesome meeting process.

Maybe people can wear go pro cameras for the post meeting beer :-)

On March 14, 2020 9:22:54 AM EDT, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Sound problems are usually local pulseaudio stuff.  Each person needs
>figure that out themselves. Usually killing pulseaudio is my 1st step,
>then using pavucontrol to get the correct HW connected to the right
>output.
>
>Viewing works w/ Firefox, but presenting wants Chromium-based browsers.
>
>BTW, both FF and Chromium were run constrained via --private firejail
>sandboxes during my testing.  10+ other people running a mix of OSes
>didn't have issues besides poor bandwidth on their side.
>
>During testing, i shared a presentation, a terminal window and everyone
>said both were quite clear.  Audio basically always worked, even when
>someone's video dropped due to local (their side) issues.  Turned out
>the USB hub used was breaking the video.
>
>There are many flaws w/ any webRTC solution, that is certain.
>
>On 3/14/20 1:56 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 18:13:09 -0400
>> DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

>>> Or jisti-meet.  At ALE-NW, a new member setup the teleconf on a VPS
>in
>>> about 10 minutes.  The presenter doesn't need any local software
>>> installed to share her screen.  Any WebRTC capable browser worked.
>>
>> I beg to differ. Our GoLUG meetings use Jitsi. Only works with
>> Chromium: No firefox, no Midori, nothing. I tried jitsi-meet: Even
>> worse. No sound.

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.