[ale] Alternative phone operating systems?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:11:14 EDT 2020

My oneplus 5 has a headphone jack. Not sure beyond v6.

I'm using a 3M bluetooth earmuff for powertool sound reduction and music. I like not having a cord dangle into the table saw.

On June 20, 2020 12:45:17 PM EDT, Charles Shapiro via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Still rockin' my LG V20 running LineageOS 14.1 . Had to run an Exploit
>install, but no bloatware and no Carrier-installed spyware or adware.
>Mic
>works good for phone calls but not for speakerphone.
>
>Watching the following phones with interest:
>
>Librem 5 ( https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/ )  This one allegedly
>uses a
>non-Android kernel. Very intriguing. Not yet really in production
>though.
>Fairphone 3 ( https://shop.fairphone.com/en/ )  Not easily available in
>the
>USA.  May not be compatible with US carriers.  Hardware is really easy
>fix or upgrade. Removable battery.
>Teracube ( https://myteracube.com/ )  GSM only. Available on Amazon.
>Non-replaceable battery.
>I was interested in OnePlus ( https://www.oneplus.com/ ) but their
>later
>models lack a 2.5 mm audio jack. Deal killer for me.
>
>-- CHS
>

>On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 5:35 PM Horkan Smith via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>wrote:
>
>> I've run some variation of LineageOS (or its predecessor CyanagenMod)
>as
>> my daily for ~6 years or so.  Moto Droid 1 & 3, Samsung Galaxy Note
>3, and
>> now a Moto X4.  Experience has generally been good.
>>
>> Only real complaint at the moment is a persistent problem w/ rural
>GPS
>> navigation w/ Google Navigator (doesn't happen w/ Waze) - location is
>good,
>> but it has trouble finding the new route.  Showed up on the Note 3,
>then
>> went away w/ stock Moto X4, then came back w/ LineageOS on the Moto.
>> like the other benefits enough I work around it for now.
>>
>> later!
>>     horkan
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:56:11PM -0400, lnxgnome via Ale wrote:
>> >I haven't touched a custom ROM for mobile in a decade, but when I
>did,
>> >the Forums on xda-developers.com were a treasure trove of
>indispensable
>> >info.?? Looks like they are still chugging along.

>seems to
>> be a good audience to ask the question:
>systems
>> (LineageOS, or any of the others?).  If so, what is your experience?
>phone?
>> I'm interested in phone functionality, text (mainly to receive Zabbix
>> alerts), and maybe basic browsing.  If there were some client capable
>of
>> connecting to Office 365 it would be a plus, but that is not a deal
>breaker.

>> --
>> Horkan Smith
>> 678-777-3263 cell, ale at horkan.net

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey