[ale] Is RackSpace Cloud no blocking higher port numbers

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 12 09:13:21 EDT 2020

I have a few cloud servers at RackSpace and this morning I was not able to connect to higher ports on them. I tested 5000 and 9090. On the cloud system I ran tcpdump with a filter to only see the port traffic and I saw nothing.

On another cloud system I ran tcpdump with 'port 9090' filter and when I attempted wot use wget to connect to that port it exited with 'No route to host'. Nothing was listening on that port, but I expected 'Connection refused' instead and to see packets printed by tcpdump. Nothing on the cloud side with tcpdump.

chris at mechonis:/tmp$ wget http://198.101.154.65:9090/
--2020-06-12 08:53:44-- http://198.101.154.65:9090/
Connecting to 198.101.154.65:9090... failed: No route to host.

Is anyone aware of any very recent changes on issues at RackSpace?