[ale] upgrading desktop

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:05:36 EDT 2020

Hey Bob,

I won't contradict the others; they know a lot more about the current
hardware stuff than I. My suggestion would add to theirs.

See if your local Goodwill, or similar, has a computer store. When mine
opens back up I can get refurb Dells for $50 (I'm using one as I write
this). If you got one you could use it to ensure your migration skills
are ready, as well as have a back up machine in case your primary goes
south. I do development on mine, push updates to git each session, and
do weekly backups to an external drive. Quarterly uploads to Google
drive. And I've restored from my backups, too.   :)

If you have a cheap machine you could have more time to build your own.
It's a fun hobby, and with the level of expertise here you can build a
great box.

Leam