[ale] Suggestion for a Good Linux/Desktop

James Sumners (ALE) james+ale at sumners.email
Mon Dec 28 10:22:35 EST 2020

On October 18, 2020 at 07:42:39, Contact VPV via Ale (ale at ale.org) wrote:
All,

I have been using Linux Mint with Cinnamon Desktop for the past few years as my daily driver. I am able to get most of the things. But there are a few times the Cinnamon Desktop just freezes and crashes while I am in the middle of some work. This kind of throws me off. I have tried most of the tricks on the LM forums and nothing leads me to a proper solution.

Now that, I am thinking of switching to some simple and clean desktop that does not crash on me. I had to use Mac for my work, so I will be switching between my Mac and Linux on a daily basis.  I had customized my Cinnamon to look and behave like Mac and was successful to an extent that I could manage.

Is there a recommendation for a distro/desktop that would help me?

Glad I went back in time to the original message instead of just jumping in late on the “use Void” bandwagon…

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: there isn’t a comparable desktop environment that is going to “just work.” I ran some flavor of Linux as my primary desktop OS for several years (back when X11 and E16 were still things people used). Around 2004 I decided that I needed a computer that would meet my university’s requirements while keeping me away from Windows — I got a PowerBook. My conclusion, and I maintain it to this day: macOS provides a cohesive GUI without any “gotchas”, along with a real *nix CLI, that Linux is unable to match for a variety of reasons.

So if you’ve managed to customize a Linux DE to roughly match the Macintosh system you also use, that’s great. But it’s going to be all on you to make that happen. There isn’t a distribution that has this as a focus, and I assert none will ever exist.