[ale] Fixing systemd and pulseaudio: was UEFI vs BIOS understanding

Jim Ransone jim.ransone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:51:05 EST 2020

Just got something related to this topic in an Ardour newsletter:
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/pipewire-planned-to-replace-pulseaudio-jack-by-default-in-fedora-34/105185

 From the linked Fedora post:

> Currently, all desktop audio is handled by the PulseAudio daemon.
> Applications make use of the PulseAudio client library to communicate
> with the PulseAudio daemon that mixes and manages the audio streams
> from the clients.
>
> The desktop shell (gnome-shell) and the control panel
> (gnome-control-panel) both use the Pulseaudio client libraries to
> manage the volume and configuration of the PulseAudio daemon.
>
> This proposal is to replace the PulseAudio daemon with a functionally
> compatible implementation based on PipeWire. This means that all
> existing clients using the PulseAudio client library will continue to
> work as before, as well as applications shipped as Flatpak.
>
> All PRO audio is handled with the JACK client library, which talks to
> the JACK server. This proposal will install a JACK client library
> replacement that talks directly to PipeWire. All existing PRO audio
> jack applications will then work on top of PipeWire.
>
> For legacy ALSA clients, we will install an ALSA plugin that routes
> the audio directly to PipeWire.
>
> With these 3 changes, all audio will be routed to PipeWire. There will
> then be no more need to install the PulseAudio and JACK daemons.

Interesting. I don't have Fedora, so not particularly relevant to my
immediate situation, but I thought it might be of some interest to some
of you.

Happy Festivus!
Jim R