[ale] UEFI vs BIOS understanding

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 21 10:59:09 EST 2020

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 12:29:48 -0500
Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Does gpt require efi??

No no no no NO!!!

The only time efi is required is when either your root disk is gpt, or
when the motherboard is efi only.

GPT is unarguably an excellent thing: It frees you up of a lot of
limitations of the old system. GPT, in my opinion, is a split decision
more bad than good.

My old Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) boots MBR from a 256GB SSD, on which
are mounted several partitions from several spinning rust drives
partitioned GPT. Works wonderfully.

My new DDD boots UEFI from a 2TB M2 SSD. I chose UEFI because, although
I don't like it, I want to get used to it in anticipation of an
eventual removal of "legacy boot" from motherboards.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive