[ale] Slightly OT: Looking for recommendation for 24 port POE Switch preferably Cisco

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Sat Dec 19 10:39:14 EST 2020

Our church has two Cisco SGE2010P 48 port 10/100/1000 POE switches.

They have become increasingly dodgy as they are actually needing them
MORE.  (Streaming services, all the telephones are Polycom SIP phones,
schools program is offering distance learning for kids downstairs on
Zoom, etc)

We really need to replace one or both.  24 ports would actually be
plenty, and these things are freakin' loud.  Like having a constant
vacuum cleaner in the office.

Much of the LAN wiring is historic, meaning terminated by hand, and not
up to spec for gigabit.  So, having diagnostic testing of all the ports
and cables is essential.  We've already identified a couple of
franken-cable runs and replaced them.

BUT, after a power-cycle last night, the good news is Speedtest results
went from 4mbps down to 90mbps down.  The bad news is the office switch
lost all ability to test cables, forgot what time it was, and no longer
properly reports port status.  And in spite of a power cycle, it insists
its been up for 11 days.   I no longer trust it.

We need to buy a decent, quiet(er) Preferably Cisco 24 port POE switch
('cause all the phone-sets need POE) which doesn't need to be
enterprised managed, BUT does need to have port/cable testing.   Refurb
would be just fine. It's a church, and we're on a budget.

Any opinions on models AND good sources for refurbs?

Regards,

Neal