[ale] Suggestion for a Good Linux/Desktop

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Dec 18 11:02:58 EST 2020

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 20:50:05 -0500
Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> As huge and bloated as it is, I use Gnome. For remote sessions I use
> XCFE. But my laptop has ram so it's gnome.

Due to a problem with Jitsi on Chromium on my beloved Void Linux, I
dual booted Ubuntu 20.04, which uses Gnome. I was surprised to find
that Gnome isn't that bad, if you add dmenu to the mix like I do with
my normal Openbox.

One thing I like about Gnome is the ability to increase or decrease the
magnification with a keystroke. I don't think Openbox can do that. If
Gnome didn't require systemd, I just might consider it for my Void
Linux daily driver, although I'm very pleased with my
Openbox/dmenu/UMENU2 interface.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive