[ale] JBOD eSATA enclosures

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Dec 13 01:06:16 EST 2020

Anyone have a recommendation for external JBOD enclosures (no RAID
required) with at least four bays and an eSATA interface?  I can't seem
to find any good reviews online for a simple box and both Amazon and
NewEgg reviews are mixed.

The two big things are that it will power back on after a power outage
(well, really after the UPS is forced to turn off because the power
outage was too long) and that it has a large fan for cooling so the fan
doesn't need to run high RPMs.  A lot of what I've seen are
hot-swappable systems that have each drive power switched individually
but they're all using soft power control so the unit doesn't come back
online if power is reapplied.  Some of them also use tiny switching
power supplies with 30-40 mm fans as the only cooling which will both
cook the drives and make tons of noise.