[ale] Voting machines

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:06:30 EST 2020

That's all perfectly doable. Lets have national holidays for election day. Paid day off for everyone to go stand in line.

The early voting was created because of lack of space for voting in metro areas. As budgets get cut, polling places get consolidated. That led to lines longer than voting day.

Times have changed since the origins of the text that specifies how we vote. There are more people in Atlanta now than the entire US in 1776 :-) (I think).

We could have a better paper ballot process but we won't because it requires better funding for making it happen.  Maybe some smart people can write computer code to figure out how many polling stations and booths are needed so that every eligible voter can get it done on election day.

And, yes. Some people won't participate. That's a social problem if they are mentally competent to drive. Another failure of education.

Of course adding a "none of the above" will drag that crowd in.

Ranked choice voting will help with voter disgust. And may tend to weed out the extremes. I've often wanted to say my choice is A but B is good enough and F is an idiot and should be not given any public trust.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool