[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 23:20:18 EST 2020

I've not found any laptop that can't be disassembled with a large enough selection of tiny screw drivers. 😁

I especially like the crap that has no screws, only snap clips you risk breaking with a spudger/guitar pick.

Upgrades: jumping more than 2 releases in Fedora is a frightening thing. Low-level stuff changes that aren't checked  on every release.  I used to do the upgrade dance. Now I either upgrade through every release or back up, install, restore /home cycle.

RedHat is still geared towards the business crowd. That support license buys indemnity for the client. That costs $$$$$ for RedHat. So, yeah, they chase the money to keep payroll up and stockholders happy. Now they also have to keep Darth Vader/IBM happy. Centos is for us that are the frontline support on a shoestring budget. So, yeah, some things that make RH coin are licence only but still gpl. But now they play nicely with Centos as each feeds each other patches for security. And those moneymakers have upstream projects for Centos and Fedora often funded by RedHat  money. My FreeIPA is more capable than IdM. My cost is frequent upgrades.

It's a balancing act.

On December 7, 2020 6:51:15 PM EST, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 09:42:31 -0500
>Derek Atkins via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>

>> the T470p is one of those "you need to completely open up the thing
>> access ANYTHING" machines.  There's not a bay to access the HDD or
>> Memory like there were on my previous devices.  According to
>>
>https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd104718-removal-and-installing-steps-of-the-wireless-lan-card-thinkpad-t470p
>> it looks like I have to do approximately the same amount of work to
>> replace the wifi card.  Of course, I would need to ensure the new
>> card is physically compatible.
>
>Looks like a bad idea to replace the wifi card. That's another thing
>about new laptops: They're much more anti-DIY than the ones a decade
>ago.
>

>> Frankly, it WAS stable on F29. I was running F29 for a couple years
>> without incident, but decided it was time to update (for a multitude
>> of reasons).  I'm very surprised to see this backwards step after the
>> update to F33.  I reported it to Red Hat, but I suspect it'll just be
>> ignored. The fact that I didn't stop in the intermediary points means
>> it'll be hard to determine when it started failing.
>
>As somebody said, boot Knoppix or System Rescue CD to verify that this
>is a software problem.
>
>Given that Redhat packagers won't fix this, the question is: Why remain
>with Redhat? The last time I tried Redhat (CentOS actually), the dearth
>of window manager choices was incredible. My impression of Redhat is
>they exist to line their pocketbook, and make things as difficult as
>possible so you order their consultants, service contracts and courses.
>There's no excuse for stopping support on hardware you once supported.
>
>SteveT
>
>Steve Litt
>Autumn 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
>http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool