[ale] Good Linux Laptop from Lenovo?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 08:20:58 EST 2020

Java is wonderful! I'm enjoying a hot cup right now

Never understood why people wanted to ruin a coffee break with more coding. The internet already ran on coffee. Think not? How long does a sysadmin stay working without coffee. Of course now the younger crowd chugs cans of drugs they call "energy drinks".

On December 6, 2020 2:16:22 PM EST, Bob Toxen via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I've always assumed that Linux should have a minimum of 16G.  HOWEVER,
>with your comment I see that even my desktop with LOTS of open windows
>is using only 4G plus buffers and cache.
>
>I guess that 8G is enough.  I don't do Java on the laptop and rarely on
>the desktop.  (I don't have a high opinion of Java.)
>
>Thanks.
>
>On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 01:14:01PM -0500, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
>> On 12/6/20 12:44 PM, Bob Toxen via Ale wrote:
>> > My main use is browsing, text email, and watching DVDs.  (I realize
>that
>> > I'll have to buy an external USB DVD burner.)
>>
>> Or just rip the DVDs on a desktop to avoid carrying more crap.
>>
>> Have to ask, what sort of Java programming are you doing where 8G
>isn't sufficient? I've not had issues with any other languages with
>that amount and running a few VMs concurrently.  But with Java, I
>wonder whether 64G of RAM is sufficient.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool