[ale] Computer build requirements list

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Aug 30 05:17:20 EDT 2020

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:42:22 -0400
David Jackson via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Hey Leam,
>
> I think Dev workstations like you describe don't require a whole lot.
>  You just want fairly recent hardware so you're not wasting a lot of
> compile time.  You can take a look at some of my old build lists here:
> https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deepbsd/saved/

VERY nice!

Thanks for the tip on pcpartpicker.com. I didn't know about that site.

I have two additions I'd make to your $600 computer, which would make
it more like a $900 computer:

1) In 2020, 16GB is not much RAM, and in two or three years, it will be
insufficient, given the bloatification of just about all software, and
given that we're all using more VMs today. I'd make it a minimum of
32GB, but probably more like 64GB.

When I bought my current Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) in 2014, I put in
16GB of RAM. Kinda gets used up with VMs.

2) I would add a 4TB, 7200 RPM spinning rust drive, so that the
root partition is on the SSD, but for big data like videos and huge
output files when developing, you have 4TB. See

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HGST-HUS724040ALA640-4TB-7200RPM-64MB-Cache-SATA-6Gb-s-3-5-Desktop-Hard-Drive/114154274813?hash=item1a941ffffd:g:qD4AAOSw0zdec-yb

Less than a hundred bucks.

On the other hand, if it were me personally configuring the computer,
I'd go 8GB like the following:

https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-mg06aca800e-8tb/p/1Z4-000B-004T3?Description=8tb%20sata%20hard%20drive&cm_re=8tb_sata%20hard%20drive-_-1Z4-000B-004T3-_-Product&quicklink=true

Or if my mobo could run SAS, I'd get a SAS drive.

Thanks for pointing out pcpartpicker.com!

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive