[ale] Computer build requirements list

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:42:22 EDT 2020

Hey Leam,

I think Dev workstations like you describe don't require a whole lot.  You
just want fairly recent hardware so you're not wasting a lot of compile
time.  You can take a look at some of my old build lists here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deepbsd/saved/

While many of these are dated builds, the AMD $600 list at the top is
pretty recent.  It's using a placeholder graphics card, and you can change
out the case for one of your preference.  If you upgrade to a gaming
graphics card, I would upgrade the power supply to about 600 watts or so.
You could also upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 7 3700(X) if you like.  A couple
more cores for VMs or whatever.  If your budget allows you could try a
fancier motherboard, like a B550 or X570, although they're still pretty
pricey.  You might be able to use some of the features they offer.
Personally, I really like an NVMe main drive.  I like the speed.

Since we're talking about compile times or how long it takes to pass tests,
sometimes my tests require some number crunching.  In those cases, my Intel
builds tend to zip through a little faster.  I think Intel overclocks a
little easier than Ryzen currently.  Actually, I'm not sure it's worth it
to overclock a Ryzen CPU these days, because they boost quite well.  Still,
Intel single core speeds will probably save you some time on compiling
larger trees or heavy numeric crunches.  Just in my humble experience.

I envy you, Leam!  I always look forward to a computer build!  Exciting!
(I'm kind of like an addict ready to go on a binge!)