[ale] [OT] Philosophy of Restoring from Backup

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:47:42 EDT 2020

I will use new os install as an excuse to clear out the crufty files. How many variations of temp/tmp/test/tst/proj/tproj/testproj, etc do I really need to keep after one week, much less 4-5 years?

I really need to spend time dumping pictures. When I left Emory I went through my phone and dumped all the pictures of work stuff that weren't people. Was not amused my sync to desktop process added them back! Fixed that bug. Now I have to clear out that cruft in 2 places.

On August 26, 2020 8:26:14 AM EDT, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>For some reason the Thunderbird and Firefox folks thought trashing
>rollback capability was a good thing. Guess I need to find
>replacements, or stick with the really old stuff.
>
>Since I needed to change OS anyway, I pulled that root drive and
>popped in another one. Besides the loss of a few e-mails due to Tbird
>issues, my backups were current. On a new OS within a couple hours,
>ready to resume my old life.
>
>But do I really want to? I have my entire home directory backed up and
>can restore with a few commands. I've done it for years. But that
>means years of cruft hiding in dot files, a lot of disk space used,
>and a variety of other potential issues.
>
>Sometimes it is good to pause at the beginning of a project and decide
>if that is worth the portion of your life it will take, and choices it
>will decide for you.
>
>Leam

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey