[ale] Building computers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:17:29 EDT 2020

Dell is NOTORIOUS for power supply incompatibility. Looks like a duck. Walks like a duck. But it's really a banjo wearing a hat and sandels.

They will use the same connectors but a different pin-out, including having a mobo pin expecting 5V but a non-Dell power supply standard connection provides 12V on that pin so good-by mobo! (That was quite a while back and a very bad day)

Yeah. Get a Dell power supply. It's only a 25% premium over the generics.

On August 10, 2020 5:56:38 PM EDT, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On 8/10/20 5:03 PM, David Jackson wrote:
>
>> As far as PSU compatibility, size is the most frequent problem (ie,
>it's
>> got to fit inside the case).
>
>In this case it was that the vendor claimed compatibility with the Dell
>
>H305P-02 but it had a completely different motherboard connector.
>
>> I guess my thought here is that if you want to build a desktop box,
>Linux
>> compatibility is no longer a large problem.
>
>Less about compatibility, more about picking quality components from a
>wide variety of options. A good CPU for multi-core stuff, and a good
>motherboard it can sit on. Why DIMM Y and not X? A discussion on power
>consumption and quiet operations.
>
>YouTube is okay to learn the process, but doesn't do data well. If I
>look at a spec sheet that says "For 8+ core desktop, use CPU A,
>Motherboard B, at least Q RAM, and one of the F brand video cards."
>That
>would take me an hour on YouTube, or sub 5 seconds on a wiki.
>
>While there are unique system requirements, there seems to be a general
>
>set of: desktop, desktop with video, desktop gaming, file server,
>backup
>server (w/raid array), and firewall/proxy server. You could start that
>sort of wiki page and save a lot of the emails.  :)
>
>Leam

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey