[ale] Building computers

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:56:38 EDT 2020

On 8/10/20 5:03 PM, David Jackson wrote:

> As far as PSU compatibility, size is the most frequent problem (ie, it's
> got to fit inside the case).

In this case it was that the vendor claimed compatibility with the Dell
H305P-02 but it had a completely different motherboard connector.

> I guess my thought here is that if you want to build a desktop box, Linux
> compatibility is no longer a large problem.

Less about compatibility, more about picking quality components from a
wide variety of options. A good CPU for multi-core stuff, and a good
motherboard it can sit on. Why DIMM Y and not X? A discussion on power
consumption and quiet operations.

YouTube is okay to learn the process, but doesn't do data well. If I
look at a spec sheet that says "For 8+ core desktop, use CPU A,
Motherboard B, at least Q RAM, and one of the F brand video cards." That
would take me an hour on YouTube, or sub 5 seconds on a wiki.

While there are unique system requirements, there seems to be a general
set of: desktop, desktop with video, desktop gaming, file server, backup
server (w/raid array), and firewall/proxy server. You could start that
sort of wiki page and save a lot of the emails.  :)

Leam