[ale] Is there anybody we don't hate too much for Refurbs?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:51:36 EDT 2019

MicroCenter. They stock tons of off-lease Dell gear that comes with a
warranty. Plus the added bonus of being able to wander through a
physical store. Choose online and pick up in the store.
Hmm. I always leave with more than intended. Make that a "downside" :-)
They also carry freeze-dried ice cream and other astronaut food packs.
On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 11:30 -0500, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but not too much.
> My wife and partner informs me that TurboTax will no longer run on
> her Win7 desktop.   Without TurboTax, life ends as we know it.
> We have used off-lease refurbs for most of our company's life.  If
> it's a server, I get a refurb and replace the disk with a new
> mirrored pair. (and load linux)   If it's a desktop, I feel lucky.
> Thus far we've been fortunate at getting them from Tiger
> Direct.  Alas, no longer.   Got one on Amazon a few years back and
> that has been fine for Android development.
> So, I trying to find average form factor 8GB, 1TB disk, Win 10 Pro,
> VGA & HDMI.    When I look at Amazon, there are plenty of
> choices.  Many of which have 15-25% one-star ratings. And you read
> them, it's a horror show - "arrived with broken power supply",  "NIC
> intermittent",  "Vendor non-communicative".
> Yes, Amazon is horrible at policing their suppliers.    I'm
> wondering.... are companies being more selective at only letting go
> of their desktops when they know they are going south?   Are refurb
> vendors getting worse?
> Is there anybody we like for refurbs these days?
> I see the last one I bought was from Amazon Renewed, which says it
> has a 90 day Amazon guarantee.  I just checked at it has a 19% one
> star review.   I guess I was just lucky.
> Regards,
>
> Neal

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.