[ale] 24" 4K monitor?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 17:24:33 EST 2019

Gnome scales well (settings->devices->->display->scale  choice of 100%,
200%, 300%). some application menus don't scale (Dia is a good example
- I have to use an external monitor at much lower resolution to see the
icons). Java doesn't scale at all apparently. All remote console
screens that use java look like a postage stamp in 1pt font. There's no
solution but a much lower resolution monitor as java sends pixels.
Workaround has been a remote console using a x2go client running a
larger format session that does the java applet connection. Java is
just horrible. So much promise. So little delivery.
I work from a 13" XPS with 4K screen. I'm looking at getting a 32" 4K
for home. Even plugged into a 65" 4K at work I have to scale up fonts
in the browser in the conference room for others to see.
On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 16:53 -0500, Ethan via Ale wrote:
> it all depends on the quality of the display scaling options. 24" at
> 4k is tiny without substantial display scaling. even 27" at 4k is
> still pretty small imo (27" at 1440p native is perfect).
>
> Windows is terrible at display scaling and MacOS is pretty great. no
> clue about Linux.
>
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM James Taylor via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> > I have had issues on my Dell ultrabook the latest kde builds on
> > opensuse leap have made a big difference.
> >
> > Couldn't tell you how gnome works.
> >
> > I do have some issues with older java based graphics, though.
> >
> > Haven't found a way to resize their fonts.
> >
> > -jt
> >

> > James Taylor
> >
> > 678-697-9420
> >
> > james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

> > I currently have a 25" 2560x1440 IPs monitor at work, and a
> > regular
> >
> > 1920x1080 IPS monitor at home.
> >
> > I'm looking at a monitor for a second system at home, and
> > considering
> >
> > either a 25" 2560x1440 like the one at work, or a 24" 4K
> > (3840x2160).
> >
> > The price is very close between the two.
> >

> > My concern is that the 24" 4K is going to start getting into the
> >
> > annoyingly tiny text zone.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Are any of you using a 24" 4K?
> >
> > This will be primarily an openSUSE system with XFCE desktop.
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Allen B.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.