[ale] Is there anybody we don't hate too much for Refurbs?

William Wylde durtybill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:04:34 EST 2019

Got a nice dual-core refurb dell with 8gb RAM 1tb hd, usb3.0, intel accel
graphics, onboard hd sound, etc. for under 200 bux from ebay I'm quite
happy with.  Don't remember what company, but it's a nice box.  Runs linux
on a removable SSD and win7 on the hd.  Could have had win10, but there
were reasons.   I'm very satisfied.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:34 PM Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Our local GoodWill has a computer sub store, and I have a multi-core Dell
> mini-tower that cost $35 before I added a drive and some RAM. It shouldn't
> be hard to find something. They also have pre-built Winderz boxes for $200
> or so.
>
> Note that "local" to me is coastal SC. Otherwise I'd go help you look.  :)
>
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM Neal Rhodes via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> Slightly off-topic, but not too much.
>>
>> My wife and partner informs me that TurboTax will no longer run on her
>> Win7 desktop.   Without TurboTax, life ends as we know it.
>>
>> We have used off-lease refurbs for most of our company's life.  If it's
>> a server, I get a refurb and replace the disk with a new mirrored pair.
>> (and load linux)   If it's a desktop, I feel lucky.
>>
>> Thus far we've been fortunate at getting them from Tiger Direct.  Alas,
>> no longer.   Got one on Amazon a few years back and that has been fine
>> for Android development.
>>
>> So, I trying to find average form factor 8GB, 1TB disk, Win 10 Pro, VGA
>> & HDMI.    When I look at Amazon, there are plenty of choices.  Many of
>> which have 15-25% one-star ratings. And you read them, it's a horror
>> show - "arrived with broken power supply",  "NIC intermittent",  "Vendor
>> non-communicative".
>>
>> Yes, Amazon is horrible at policing their suppliers.    I'm
>> wondering.... are companies being more selective at only letting go of
>> their desktops when they know they are going south?   Are refurb vendors
>> getting worse?
>>
>> Is there anybody we like for refurbs these days?
>>
>> I see the last one I bought was from Amazon Renewed, which says it has a
>> 90 day Amazon guarantee.  I just checked at it has a 19% one star
>> review.   I guess I was just lucky.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Neal

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
become great.”

― Mark Twain