[ale] After 15 years, Nohup is sttll broken???

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Jul 31 11:01:40 EDT 2019

I gather you're doing an ssh from one system to another.   I wonder if your shell default on either the system you're coming from or the second system has TMOUT variable set and it is thinking the session is idle due to lack of output.   If so, doing an unset TMOUT might solve it.   Note I have seen issues where firewall devices will timeout sessions such as VPN but I can full them by running a while loop in another window to just display data to the screen every 5 minutes.

As posted by someone else I typically run:
nohup <script> &

The nohup tells it not to send a hang-up (hup) when the terminal closes.   The & tells it to background.
This runs well for me when I run it from an internal Linux workstation to a Linux server in our remote data center.   There is no firewall in between so other than insuring TMOUT isn't set I've not needed to do anything to leave jobs running overnight.

If all that doesn't work, then screen is the way to go.   It isn’t that hard to use or train others to use.

P.S.  Retiring after leaving someone with the soon to be EOLed RHEL6 (Or CentOS6) on a new install is a dirty trick IMHO :p