[ale] After 15 years, Nohup is sttll broken???

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Jul 31 10:39:50 EDT 2019

Well, I apply for Medicare in 6 months, so...

Yes, "screen" or "tmux" is a workaround.  I'm doing this server upgrade
for admin staff that will have to handle it day-to-day.  IMHO, "screen"
is a bit confusing for them to follow.   One cannot write down rote
commands for figuring out which screen session you left if more than one
is in play.

It all still begs the basic question: the man page for Nohup states the
following as its description:   "Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals."
  Apparently it fails to do its one and only purpose in life.

Yes, we have gone back to use "at" instead, which DOES work no matter
how the tty/ssh session dies.   But I still find it curious.

Regards,

Neal