[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:02:29 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-10-30 at 11:59 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:47:05 -0400Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> For those of ususing or interacting with RHEL systems, this is being
> viewed as a veryquestionable thing for the continuity of RedHat
> philosophy.
> The RedHat philosophy is "obfuscate to profit." Don't take my word
> forit. Read former Redhat CEO Brian Stevens admit the motive at
> http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html

??? I don't understand your argument here. Not only does the word
"obfuscate" not appear anywhere but there's no implied obfuscation in
the interview.RedHat changed from being just a packager to also being
creator some years ago (shortly after the IPO). The purchased the LDAP
from Netscape and turned it into a GPL'ed project and a money maker for
them. They did exactly what they said they did; cleaned out the code
they could not release under the GPL and wrote GPL'ed code to replace
it. They sold support for the original package and funded the
conversion.
Yep. Sounds like dirty pool and fishy community standards to me.
> Doesn'tmatter what people think about rpm's, systemd, elf binaries,
> etc,RedHat has been a driving force in the Linux and GPL
> ecosystem.Notice I said GPL and NOT open source. That was deliberate.
> RedHatwould take their $$$ and buy a product/process that was not
> GPL'ed,clean up the codebase of all incompatible cruft, clean-room
> code tobackfill, and then release it under the GPL.
> The Redhat that did that was already dead years ago.

Again, ?????
> From my perspective, one bad actor bought another.

And lastly, ????
> SteveT

Never understood why some people liked to hate on RedHat for making a
profit from the work of others yet that _is_ the standard method of how
things are done. Maybe it's that part where RedHat takes money and adds
to the pool of GPL'ed software that is confusing. It is _so_ un-
American. </snark>
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.