[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Oct 29 09:16:28 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 09:01:36AM -0400, Simba via Ale wrote:
> With all due respect, I can't take your opinions seriously when you say
> philosophy doesn't matter. Our entire nation was built on philosophy.
> Our government serves the people and purposes of that nation.

Businesses don't give a whit about philosophy.  They want results, for
the least short-term cost possible.  For longer-term costs, that's what
insurance and support contracts are for.  Defined up-front known costs
that can be budgeted and planned around.

> Anyhow there's additional reasons, for example the ease of upgrading
> Debian based systems.

In the real world, nobody upgrades systems in-place.  They are instead
replaced wholesale when the hardware reaches its end-of-life, or the
applications require more capabilities.  And thanks to the rise of VMs,
relatively ancient systems are sticking around longer than ever, because
the software isn't tied to the hardware any more..  (this is especially
true with IBM!)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^