[ale] CRITICAL LINUX FLAW OPENS THE DOOR TO FULL ROOT ACCESS (RHE)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:56:13 EDT 2018

My gray beard head is doing pretty OK learning new stuff. Even systemd and docker and firewalld and selinux.

But, yeah, ansible is an all in one solution for running systems. So's spacewalk, and the odd collection of bash scripts I've accumulated over the years. I've seen systems controlled by git (ok. That was pretty cool).

Ever noticed how the solution to all problems is based on a solution provider's comfort tool? DBAs put everything in a database. Perl people use perl, java people (need therapy)..., etc.

ifconfig is deprecated and not installed by default having been replaced with ip. Does tons more, complicated syntax compared to ifconfig.

But, hey! What ever floats the boat that ships with permissions to see, use, modify, and redistribute the source code.

On May 20, 2018 8:33:45 PM EDT, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Yeah, if *I'd* said it, then it would have just been the ravings of a
>graybeard scared-to-learn Linux wannabe poser systemd hater.
>
>So I let others say it. And isn't it interesting that the botched
>shellscript and systemd are from the same folks, and they're the folks
>who have no problem at all with bringing complexity to GNU/Linux (soon
>to be systemd/Linux).
>
>SteveT
>

>On Sun, 20 May 2018 18:32:21 -0400
>Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A generic large tool to implement a simple task. Sounds like systemd
>> to me
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Of course but that requires a run on ALL machines. By simply changing
>> ttl on the dhcp server to 5 minutes, waiting 24 hours, make the
>> change, wait 5 minutes, test, change ttl to 24 hours.
>>
>> On May 20, 2018 10:00:10 AM EDT, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>> wrote:

>run

>and

>> >Couldn't you accomplish the same thing using Puppet, Chef or
>Ansible?
>> >

>> >SteveT
>> >
>> >Steve Litt
>> >June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
>> >http://www.troubleshooters.com/28

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.