[ale] ovirt is rapidly losing it's charm

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri May 4 17:20:06 EDT 2018

Virtio-win stuff is a dual edged sword.

It is slightly less overhead and slightly better performance, but if you
move the storage over to using it, then you have to remember when
troubleshooting to load those drivers when you are having trouble
booting.  Usually takes me about 20 minutes to remember that about once
a year when Windows refuses to boot due to some sort of corruption.

Just a thought. OTOH, you can setup virtio-scsi devices and use standard
SCSI drivers in Windows which remove some of the limitations that virtio
drivers bring, while keeping the (theoretically) lower overhead and
faster I/O. I can't remember if libvirt supports a menu for picking
virtio-scsi, but in the libvirt XML file, the bus=scsi and
model=virtio-scsi will cause the vda --> sda device names.  ;)  I
understand virtio storage has some limit for the number of devices it
can support, whereas the SCSI limits are effectively unlimited.

I've been testing virt-scsi on a Linux VM about 2 months. No issues.
Feels about time to switch my Windows VM over to it during the next
maintenance period.

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT