[ale] [OT] Looking for someone to do SMD rework.

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Thu Mar 29 20:01:26 EDT 2018

Solomon,

I replied to Horkan offline. I realize now that his reply went to the list
even though it didn't show in the header of the reply that I got. So here's
my commentary.

I wish it were so simple. But alas I have a Fiat 500e, and so it's not.

Fiat uses Philips crypto transponders that have a challenge response with
the BCM. Essentially the secret key is embedded into the BCM of the car and
is written on the crypto block of the transponder and then locked. Once
locked, the crypto page cannot be read or changed on the transponder.

So there are only three ways to 'pre-code' new keys that can be programmed
into the vehicle:

1. Pay the dealer. $175 a fob. Supposedly shipped from Italy.

2. Pull the BCM and read the secret key out of the memory. This involves
unsoldering parts, dumping memory into software, then precoding
and locking new blank transponders.

3. Pay a ton of money for a tool that reads the BCM memory via the OBD/CAN
connector. Then precode and locking new blank transponders.

Then and only after a blank transponder has been precoded, can the new keys
be introduced to the BCM. Dealers charge upwards of $100, in addition to
the keys for the priviledge. In addition all authorized keys have to be
programmed in at the same time.

It's a battle I've been fighting for 6 months. It's a damn shame that 10
bytes of key information and the protocol to read/write the BCM are hidden
so that dealers can charge a ton of money just to authorize keys.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology