[ale] Way-the-hell-and-gone off topic

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:11:23 EDT 2018

In the "starving student era" of my life, Schafers. Had to drink it
from the freezer. If it got close to fridge temp it was undrinkable.
Years went by and I started brewing ales at home. Gained a few pounds
rather quickly :-) . A friend called me to come try the new "Bud Ice"
he had picked up. I brought a few home brews.
I poured a home ale for him and he poured a Bud ice for me. My gag
reflex kicked in about as fast as I suspect it would trying to drink a
mix of gasoline, bleach, and formaldehyde. I could not swallow Bud Ice
and spit it back into the glass. My friend was "ooh-ing and aah-ing"
with my home brew and pretty much downed a pair of  pints (a pale ale
and a porter knowing my recipes of the time). Then he popped a Bud Ice
and tried to take a drink. It was instantaneous and violent as he
reflexively spit the foul stuff across the room.
We loaded in my car and I took him to the home brew store.
Problem Solved (TM).   :-)
On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 15:31 -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> Starving college student - Pearl Lite - $1.99 12-pak.  Cheaper than
> "plain label BEER."  Only downside was the 20 min drive to the county
> line to get to a liquor barn.  Was living in a dry county back then.
> Good part was they had a drive through barn, so nobody had to get out
> of
> the vehicle.
>
> After getting my first real job, I decided that life was too short to
> drink bad beer, though sometimes it still happens. Sadly.  Still
> remembe
> the first sip of Moosehead - talk about nasty.
>

> On 03/23/2018 05:52 AM, Jim Lynch via Ale wrote:
> > And when you were really short you drank Bali Hai, less than $1 per
> > bottle.  Or Canadian Ace beer, less than a $1 per 6-pack.  Go to
> > 711 buy
> > a Slurpee pour out half of the liquid and fill it with Bali Hai.  I
> > wonder how I survived?

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain