[ale] Coursera: Arduino and C

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:20:39 EDT 2018

Byron is correct.   I'm currently working on an "Intro to Raspberry Pi"
class for Decatur Makers.  I've got code to control an LED from a browser
in several different ways.  It's pretty hard to get the LED to blink faster
than about once a second on a Pi running Raspbian because you're talking to
it through an entire multi-user OS.  On the Arduino, it's trivial to blink
at any rate you want, up to fast enough that it looks steady.

The standard programming language for the Arduino is a slightly dumbed-down
version of C++.  That means that a background in C or C++ makes it easy to
get an Arduino to do interesting things.  You can actually load a bunch of
different OSs onto a Raspberry Pi, but the most common one ( Raspbian) is
essentially Debian.  A background in Linux ( or, ideally, Debian) makes it
Easy to work on.  If you want more real-time performance out of your RPI,
you can use ROS ( http://www.ros.org/ ) or some other solution.  Also
please to note that the RPI lacks a real-time clock. Adding a board to give
you that is pretty easy, but you'll also need to make some software changes
for the Pi's OS to see it properly.

For $26 or so, you can get a camera which connects directly to a raspberry
pi.  The later Pis (like, Pi 2 or Pi 3 models) have enough muscle to
compile and run OpenCV, so you can make robots which can actually see and
react to stuff Out There.  A great choice for your Unstoppable Robot Army.

BTW Decatur Makers is doing a most excellent 4-hour Intro to Arduino class
April 7 ( https://www.meetup.com/Decatur-Makers/events/248928110/ ) .  I'm
T.A. ing that one.  It involves hanging about three components off an
Arduino board, experimenting with each one as you go. This will be the
second time it's offered, so some of the most obvious kinks have been
ironed out.

-- CHS