[ale] Coursera: Arduino and C

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Thu Mar 22 15:39:34 EDT 2018

Arduinos have two/three advantages:

1. No OS (generally) means much tighter systems control because of less overhead.
2. Built in ADC
3. Has 5V variants.

RasPi Advantages
1. Full blown Linux OS. So high level software packages are easy to install/use.
2. Much better onboard connections (HDMI, Ethernet, Wifi/Bluetooth) out of
   the box with RasPi 3 and ZeroW.
3. More memory.

I have both. Arduinos for little projects that don't need connectivity.
RasPi's for IoT deployments.

My next project is building my own EVSE for my Fiat 500e. It'll actually
have both. The Arduino for OpenEVSE and a RasPi Zero W as the wireless and
display interface. Amazingly you can get both from Microcenter for less
than $10 total.

BAJ

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 01:44:29PM -0400, Joey Kelly via Ale wrote:
> On Thursday, March 22, 2018 09:07:30 AM leam hall via Ale wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > In case you don't know, Coursera has a lot of free or lower cost
> > courses. Since some of you have been talking about the RPi, I figured
> > there might be some Arduino fans here.
>
> So what or what class of things can Arduino do that RPi can't? The Pi has pin-
> outs, etc.
>
> Asking for a clueless friend...
>
> --
> Joey Kelly
> Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
> http://joeykelly.net
> 504-239-6550

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff