[ale] Ouch

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Jan 3 07:47:38 EST 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 10:24:07PM -0500, Raj Wurttemberg via Ale wrote:
> Ohh.. yeah... Ouch!!  A 30% performance hit?!?!

It's actually not _that_ bad -- it's a significant performance hit on
making system calls -- the only measurements I've seen have shown a 38%
increase in the overhead to read() --actual processing is unaffected.

On the other hand, I/O intensive workloads are the most heavily
impacted.  The PostgreSQL folks have done some preliminary benchmarks
and it's not pretty:

  https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180102222354.qikjmf7dvnjgbkxe@alap3.anarazel.de

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^