[ale] What's my job title?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue May 9 14:30:05 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-09 08:39, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 11:03 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> On 2017-05-08 07:01, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
>>> I think if garbage collectors can be called Sanitation Engineers
>>> the idea that "engineer" requires a license is laughable at best.
>>
>> It matters when the engineer can have a direct and material effect
>> on the health and welfare of a person (e.g. civil, electrical,
>> mechanical ).  It also harms the reputation of engineers with the
>> public due to confusion or derision.  Diluting the term engineer does
>> a disservice to the public and to the engineers.
>
> Most places, the legal term is "Professional Engineer" and they usually
> put PE in their signature, after their name, like an MD or DDS or CPA does.
>
> -j "Engineer in Training"
>
> EIT is part of the PE certification process. Passed the Fundamentals of
> Engineering exam decades ago. Basically, every graduating engineer at my
> university took the exam, except the EEs. At the time, an EE usually
> didn't take enough mechanical or fluids coursework to be able to pass
> the FE test.  Suspect they've altered the required sections of the FE to
> make it possible for EEs to pass now.
> Anyone can sit for an FE exam, but being a PE in the USA requires
> 1) Graduation from an ABET accredited engineering program (4-5 yrs)
> 2) Passing the 5+ hr FE exam
> 3) 4+ years of engineering work under a PE
> 4) Passing the 8+ hr PE exam.
>
> Basically, it is a masters-level, practical knowledge, license.  Or so
> I've been told.
>
> Certainly there must be at least 1 PE lurking here.

I'm aware of the licensing as a PE but the term engineer is also a legal
term for those that have an accredited degree in engineering (some law
texts refer to specialized knowledge gained through engineering
education).  The requirement to get the PE starts with the ABET program
which a "sanitation engineer" won't have (unless they're an Env.E. with
a specialization in waste management).  So it's still a dilution of term
engineer and, exclusive of the PE licensing, there's still the need for
an engineer to be diligent with designs when it's a health/welfare
issue.  The PE is responsible for signing off but they will also hold
any others accountable as well.

I forgot to take the exam between undergrad and grad when it was offered
(for free with the requisite signatures) but many EEs did take it.
However, depending on the board, it wasn't required to take the general
PE exam, you can elect to take a field-specific version.  I suppose I
could go back and get it, but now it would cost money (though I get to
skip step 3).