[ale] What's my job title?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 9 11:39:40 EDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 11:03 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 2017-05-08 07:01, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
>> I think if garbage collectors can be called Sanitation Engineers
>> the idea that "engineer" requires a license is laughable at best.
>
> It matters when the engineer can have a direct and material effect
> on the health and welfare of a person (e.g. civil, electrical,
> mechanical ).  It also harms the reputation of engineers with the
> public due to confusion or derision.  Diluting the term engineer does
> a disservice to the public and to the engineers.

Most places, the legal term is "Professional Engineer" and they usually
put PE in their signature, after their name, like an MD or DDS or CPA does.

-j "Engineer in Training"

EIT is part of the PE certification process. Passed the Fundamentals of
Engineering exam decades ago. Basically, every graduating engineer at my
university took the exam, except the EEs. At the time, an EE usually
didn't take enough mechanical or fluids coursework to be able to pass
the FE test.  Suspect they've altered the required sections of the FE to
make it possible for EEs to pass now.
Anyone can sit for an FE exam, but being a PE in the USA requires
1) Graduation from an ABET accredited engineering program (4-5 yrs)
2) Passing the 5+ hr FE exam
3) 4+ years of engineering work under a PE
4) Passing the 8+ hr PE exam.

Basically, it is a masters-level, practical knowledge, license.  Or so
I've been told.

Certainly there must be at least 1 PE lurking here.