[ale] Brother printer woes

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Aug 1 17:42:32 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 04:48:47PM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> There is a Brother MFC-L2700DW all in one printer wirelessly connected to a
> network as 192.168.30.118.  I'm sure of the ip address because I can connect
> to it via http and look at the status.  I also see the mac address on the
> lcd panel and it corresponds to the mac address in pfsense which links to
> .118. The cups server on 192.168.50.2 sees the printer fine and I was able
> to configure it without difficulty.  I can telnet to port 9100 on .118 and
> was able to connect the cups server with either server://192.168.30.118:9100
> or server://192.168.30.118. Everything looks great and when I print a test
> page, it shows me the job in the print queue and then show it finished in
> the jobs completed.  The only problem is that it must be  using invisible
> paper.  I attempted to use the print self test page and it claimed it was
> successful, but again, no paper.

The obvious question -- what kind of printer did you configure CUPS to
use?  And what driver?  (The JetDirect port only facilitates data
transfer, but says nothign about what kind of data needs to be used..)

Brother claims to ahve a Linux driver for this thing [1], but the
printer itself speaks a proprietary control language (rather than
something standard like PCL or Postscript) so you could easily be SOL.

 [1] http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^