[ale] cord cutting for TV, SiliconDust, MythTV, recording to PC, etc.,

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Apr 9 19:47:20 EDT 2017

You do NOT have to pay to use Plex outside your home.  They just make it
easier for noobs to do that.  I can stream media using the plex's web
interface from anywhere in the world with sufficient bandwidth using
either my home VPN or a simple ssh SOCKS proxy.  Of course, for
non-nerds, paying the annual/lifetime fee to the Plex guys could make sense.

Plus all the Plex clients I've seen made by the Plex people suck, IMHO.
Kodi can access plex content AND watch live TV AND record OTA TV. Put an
HDHR4 on your network connected to an antenna (check tvfool first).  Not
every location makes this worth while. For some parts of metro Atlanta,
OTA just isn't an option due to hills and other obstructions.

There are some pretty easy ways to take your media with you, BTW. A 1TB
2.5in HDD with a powered USB2 hub and r-pi can do wonders for next to
nothing in a hotel without using any internet.

On 04/09/2017 07:06 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Plex isn't really for cord cutting, it more of a media center. It's like
> kodi but you have to pay to use outside your home. I've been using for 5
> years now. I spent 5 months ripping all my DVD and CD, and I been using
> to share my media with my kids at my ex's home. The add-on's for plex
> don't give you any live tv. But, again it for personal media, home
> movies, your own dvd's, cd, and pictures.
>
> Kodi does pretty much the same, but you can get add on's that will let
> you watch live tv or pirate movies. Just be careful, watching a movie
> online no different than downloading in the eyes of DMCA.  I prefer Plex
> over Kodi because the search engines that they use are so much better
> than those on Kodi.
>
> I know that are some India Service on Kodi.
>
> https://addonhq.com/best-kodi-bollywood-addons/
>
> I use Roku and Amazon Firestick, you can get a free Amazon Firestick
> from DirecTV after you pay for one month ( $35 ), I currently have
> DirecTV Now, which is their online server gives 100 Channels ( HBO ) for
> $35, but you have to act now. The only local channel that they offer is
> Fox ( Channel 5 ), you can get CBS Access for $5 a month that gives you
> access to online and live tv. USATVNOW is is free, but the stations
> aren't local and it can be used on Roku and Kodi.
>
> https://www.ustvnow.com
>
> Playstation Vue offers packages and includes ( 5 and 46 ) works on Roku,
> I believe others. Packages price depends on what you want. You can try
> for 5 Days free.
>
> Sling is another service, I tried last year, it from Dish, so you can
> get your India packages for $25, it says it offer Fox ( 5 ), NBS ( 11 )
> and more, that their blue packages for $25, so if you want India and US
> Channels $50 a month still cheaper than get Dish.
>
> https://www.sling.com/hindi
>
> Two more are coming is HULU and Youtube TV.  Youtube TV said it will let
> you stream 6 accounts at once and offers an online DVR all for $35 a
> month. Now I don't know if this is true, but their ad says ABC, CBS,
> Fox, and NBC, that the most local channels I have seen.
>
> https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/coming-soon/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt6fHBRDtm9O8xPPHq4gBEiQAdxotvLnDTIdoYhBAiOhkKY3PbYOIeY-7gw-PM9KUHYpuoU4aAi3q8P8HAQ
>
> http://fortune.com/2017/03/02/hulu-live-tv/
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> The one service that was awesome but courts shut it down was Aeroe. For
> $8 bucks a month you got all the local channels, but greed shut down.
>
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
> <savithari at gmail.com <mailto:savithari at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is plex server a software that you run on a PC and it has a nice
>     interface to SiliconDust to schedule recordings ?
>
>     Is Kodi a nice interface  on my HTPC that connects to the plex
>     server and helps navigate the recordings (I presume live tv as well) ?
>
>     Didnt understand the $50MB and the $50 Intel CPU comment you made,
>     JD, can u elaborate ?

> [...]

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.