[ale] [ot] what's good on TV - cord cutting

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Apr 9 19:34:59 EDT 2017

What's good on TV?

NOVA, Frontline
For example, here's a NOVA episode called "The Nuclear Option"
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365930275/

It is about thorium molten salt nuclear reactors that burn current
nuclear waste to much smaller amounts (about 10% of the total) and leave
waste with just a 69 yr half-life, not thousands of years.

There's a cool youtube video showing a meltdown for a Molten Salt
Reactor in Utah in the 1950s. They had visitors during the test, but
when none of the guys working the meltdown test started running, so the
visitors figured it must be safe enough. The reactor temperatures rose
higher and higher after all reaction controls were removed ... then the
reactions started slowing until they stopped - with zero positive
controls needed. No power. No pumps. No explosion. Do nothing, you end
with a fizzle, not a boom.

There are multiple "new energy" companies performing designs of this
type.  Nothing full scale in the USA. I've seen a few proposals for
20-30 yr modular reactors. At the end of their life, take the entire
reactor out for processing and swap in a new one.

China is building full-scale versions of these plants now. They are
willing to take big chances to solve their power issues. Google for
videos on "molten salt Nuclear Reactors china" to find more.

NatGeo did a 2 hr episode about these reactors too.

I'm pretty excited about a "green nuclear option" for clean power that
works at night, without wind, and can produce power for 50-200K homes,
without the risk of an explosive meltdown due to electrical or pump
failures.

It is the next best thing until I can have a nuclear reactor under my
sink next to the garbage disposal.  Hope they get solid, safe, designs
approved and built in the USA, so we can start eating away at all the
partially spent nuclear fuel being stored around current nuke plants.

Plus these are entertaining:
* Rick and Morty
* Squidbillies